Engineering @ Sterling
They say good engineers love solving puzzles. Every day, our team figures out how to build and improve our clients’ innovative MedTech solutions, manufacturing them at scale, ready to improve patients’ lives. It is a mission that requires multi-disciplined, creative, and flexible minds, working together for our clients’ success. Whether it is process, mechanical or quality control engineering, every member plays an important role, making our team stronger. If you want to put your engineering skills to work on delivering the next generation of medical devices to patients around the world, Sterling is the place for you.
About Sterling Industries
Established in 1984, Sterling Industries provides end-to-end contract manufacturing and assembly of medical devices and components to Fortune 100 OEMs, as well as mid-size medical device OEMs and fast-growing “scale-ups.” Registered with the U.S. FDA and Health Canada, Sterling helps clients deliver successful products through its vertical integration, managing the entire process, including the supply chain, manufacturing, assembly, testing, labelling, packaging and shipping. The company operates from facilities in the suburban Toronto (Concord and Woodbridge) and Kalamazoo, Michigan. Sterling manufactures success.
The successful candidate will support lean initiatives, design of new equipment/processes or modification to existing equipment/processes, qualification testing and development/updates of documents within our lean manufacturing facility.
- Apply structured problem solving, lean principals, and best practice process development to drive product and process improvements
- Designs processes and equipment related to the development and commercialization of products or services that are cost effective and in keeping with a given budget
- Assist in the development of Process flow, PFMEA and Control plan, working closely with Program Managers, PE’s, QE’s and Production Supervisors
- Optimize existing manufacturing processes to reduce cost, improve sustainability, boost productivity, quality, and profitability through new fixture/tool design and/or new technologies
- Participate in operations meeting, speak to action plans on scrap, efficiency, and OT improvements
- Assist in product design whenever is required
- Design work cell layouts using Lean Manufacturing concepts, ensuring Safety, Quality and Efficiency targets are met or exceeded
- Champion work cell efficiency projects as required, based on daily/weekly review of efficiency data
- Assist in the development and application of Total Preventative Maintenance for all production equipment
- Review and implement customer product changes into internal systems (ECNs) for product clarity in manufacturing flow including ECO cost impact and implementation.
- Specify/design/procure special jigs and tools necessary to support these processes.
- Instruct, train and guide (provide technical support) production personnel.
- Adhere to all requirements of the Quality Management System
- Demonstrate company values, works with integrity and a supportive corporate member.
- Comply with the Health & Safety policies of the company and inform Management of unsafe working conditions.
- Minimum 3 years working experience in manufacturing environment
- Proficient at continuous improvements by applying lean manufacturing principles
- Strong root cause analysis / Problem solving skills
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, fabrication methods and tool design, such as CNC, Laser cutting, Welding, injection Molding, etc
- Familiarity with manufacturing equipment and quality assurance techniques
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Hands on, well organized
- Positive personality
- Proficient in Solidworks, Auto cad and MS Office
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering required.
Company is in Kalamazoo, MI – must be local to Kalamazoo during work.
J. Sterling Industries will consider and provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Sterling of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All information collected will be protected under applicable privacy requirements.
We will review applications as they are received. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.