Location: Woodbridge, ON
Engineering @ Sterling Industries
They say good engineers love solving puzzles. Every day, our team figures out how to build and improve our clients’ innovative MedTech solutions, manufacturing them at scale, ready to improve patients’ lives. It is a mission that requires multi-disciplined, creative, and flexible minds, working together for our clients’ success. Whether it is process, mechanical or quality control engineering, every member plays an important role, making our team stronger. If you want to put your engineering skills to work on delivering the next generation of medical devices to patients around the world, Sterling is the place for you.
About Sterling Industries
Established in 1984, Sterling Industries provides end-to-end contract manufacturing and assembly of medical devices and components to Fortune 100 OEMs, as well as mid-size medical device OEMs and fast-growing “scale-ups.” Registered with the U.S. FDA and Health Canada, Sterling helps clients deliver successful products through its vertical integration, managing the entire process, including the supply chain, manufacturing, assembly, testing, labelling, packaging and shipping. The company operates from facilities in the suburban Toronto (Concord and Woodbridge) and Kalamazoo, Michigan. Sterling manufactures success.
This Senior Program Manager/Core Team Operations Representative is the primary Operations interface to the New Product Development Core team. This is a highly visible and impactful role in the operations networks and to the business. The PM will lead cross functional teams and is responsible for value stream selection, planning, execution, and implementation of new products.
A Day in the Life:
- Autonomy: A Program Manager in the role is responsible for medium to large scale programs. A successful candidate will be able to advance the organization by developing new best practices and lead meetings with internal/external customers. Influential communication to many levels of management is required in this role.
- Organizational Impact: The candidate will own and ensure overall Operations project execution with respect to schedule, budget, resource allocation, risk management, issue resolution and compliance to internal quality requirements. Results are accomplished by leading up to 5 Extended Operations functions including Supply Management, , Process Development, , Self-Manufacturing, Operations, , Sterilization, and External customers.
- Influence and Complexity: A successful candidate will be able to: 1) Apply best practices and lead meetings with internal/external stakeholders, 2) Communicate effectively to higher level management, 3) Solve issues through information exchange and influence, and 4) Gain cooperation of other functions on program objectives and plan execution.
- Flexibility: A successful candidate will need to work with international teams so work schedule flexibility is possible as long as all project needs are met. Travel is required for this role and is usually planned in advance to meet project needs.
Program Management and Technical Responsibilities
- Lead the Extended Operations Team to ensure on-time and on-budget performance through the new product development cycle.
- Create strategic solutions to meet anticipated customer and business needs with predictability and certainty.
- Ensure scope, cost, resource and schedule alignment between operations and core team functions
- Follow compliance processes for New Product Development
- Skilled negotiator with demonstrated ability to create mutually beneficial results and negotiate trade-offs
- Execute pre-established Operations Strategies.
- Ensure structured problem methods and predictive engineering principles are consistently and rigorously applied, such as Design for Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, or similar concepts.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills (able to review results / situations, and determine follow-up action plans)
- Ability to work to close deadlines
- Adaptable and flexible – able to take on additional work requirements, in addition to core responsibilities, as required
- Create reports for internal use and for client presentations
- Administer disciplinary action in accordance with established procedures
Communications & Influence Responsibilities:
- Ability to lead and Influence between Extended Operations Team and Core Team
- Coach and develop extended Operations members, to help individuals advance their skills and careers. Provide performance feedback.
- Recognize teams and individuals for exceptional performance
Must Have – Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
Preference Given to Candidates with:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a technical field such as Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related technical discipline.
- Proven Operations experience with depth of knowledge in at least two Operations function and Program Management experience
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry (e.g. medical device, pharmaceutical, avionics, automotive)
- Experience with problem solving methodologies
- Experience working in virtual teams
- Experience in new product development
- Advanced degree in an Engineering discipline or Masters in Business Administration
- Medical device product development experience and a strong understanding of FDA, ICH and IEC standards
- Experience across the entire product lifecycle
- PMP Certified
Company is in Concord and Woodbridge, Ontario – must be local to Toronto during work.
J. Sterling Industries will consider and provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Sterling of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation. All information collected will be protected under applicable privacy requirements.
We will review applications as they are received. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.